Give them what they want, and you will reap the benefits.
Incorporating media or publicity into your marketing can be a powerful way to achieve business growth because it enables you to reach more of your audience for less.
It is a business growth strategy that every small business owner and entrepreneur should be using.
The media always seeks exciting stories, and if you give them what they are looking for, you will be greatly rewarded.
There are numerous ways to promote yourself and your business using publicity. Here are just a few tips you can apply starting today.
- Be consistent in producing quality content. This includes your press releases. Your press releases should have a consistent look and feel to them.
- Don’t just send anything to get in front of the media. Be strategic in your approach. Reporters don’t want to waste their time reading content that does not pertain to their area of focus.
Even if your first story is not accepted the first time, keep submitting new ones. Don’t submit them twice or three times a year; expect the media to pick up the phone and call you immediately. The timing may not be suitable. This is why research is essential. Consistency and perseverance are crucial to getting the exposure you desire for your business. If you stay in front of the media, they’ll keep you in mind when they need a story like yours, which may happen sooner than you think.
- Always Be Networking (ABN) – Find events related to your niche and where the press might be in attendance, such as fundraising events and conferences. Introduce yourself to them, but don’t be pushy, and do not ask them for an interview on the spot.
- Become an authority on your subject. That means staying on top of what’s happening in your industry in your local area and worldwide.
Stay abreast of the trends that are taking place in your industry. If you understand the latest changes and trends, you can speak intelligently and effortlessly about them when they contact you for an interview.
- Distribute press releases connecting your story to local, national, and world news.
- Be helpful by offering guest referrals and story ideas to the media. You’ll be seen as a great source of information if you can offer a reporter or journalist referrals.
- Never forget to follow up to say “Thank You” after doing an interview. This is an essential “must-do” after every interview. You can often turn a “thank you” into more coverage.
Thousands of media outlets are waiting to receive interesting and unique stories from you. Don’t be afraid to get started. Be creative but truthful in how you tell your story.
Find the best media outlets for your business, start submitting your stories, apply a little perseverance and patience, and you will begin to see excellent results from your efforts.
Do you know how to use the media to position yourself and your company as an authority?